The Record, which started publishing in 1944, was located at 8505 Dixon Avenue in 1978. Today this address is part of an office building located at 1010 Wayne Avenue.
The Silver Spring Historical Society owns a rare bound copy of this newspaper's run from 1978 that was generously donated by Chip Py a few years ago. If anyone has copies of this important newspaper, please consider donating them to SSHS.
Spring Garden was located at 1160 Bonifant Street which is no longer extant, having been replaced by a portion of the Paul S. Sarbanes Transit Center.
|Courtesy Silver Spring Singular|
Villa Rosa was located at 813 Ellsworth Drive which is also long gone. The restaurant was located about where Zpizza sits today.
Beacon Auto Body was located at 8111 Mayor Lane. Beacon closed in 2010 after being in business for 38 years. The building is still there (and empty) but not Beacon's awesome sign which was the side of the actual 1956 Nash Metropolitan automobile. This car is in the collection of the SSHS and it has been offered, along with other vintage Silver Spring business signs, for permanent display in the to-be-constructed Silver Spring Library!
And lastly Mike offered a "Cheers" from 1052 Ripley Street, now the site of the Solaire Apartments.
Wherever you spend this New Year's Eve, may it be memorable!